The CCA building and gardens have become landmarks of Montréal. Opened in 1989, the new building designed by Peter Rose with Phyllis Lambert, consulting architect, and Erol Argun, associate architect, was integrated with the historically classified Shaughnessy House (1874) designed by William T. Thomas. The 130,000-square-foot new building, which houses exhibition galleries, the Paul Desmarais Theatre, the Bookstore, the Library, and Study Centre in the Alcan Wing, as well as state-of-the-art conservation and collection facilities and curatorial offices, has received numerous design awards in North America and Europe. The conservation and restoration of the 20,000-square-foot Shaughnessy House were carried out under the supervision of Denis Saint-Louis. With its Devencore Conservatory and striking reception rooms, the Shaughnessy House is one of the rare 19th-century Montréal houses open to the public. Through scale, siting, and the juxtaposition of traditional and modern materials such as Montréal grey limestone and structural aluminum, the CCA building relates architecture past and present. Its landscape, including the CCA Garden, which faces the building from the south side of boulevard René-Lévesque, was designed according to the ecology of each site.