Editor, CCA Publications
The Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA) gives visibility and facilitates access to its activities—exhibitions, public programs, collection, and research—through a publishing program that encompasses print, electronic, and online platforms. The Publications division at the CCA is responsible for the planning and production of this program following the CCA vision and editorial strategy.
The responsibilities of this job are to contribute to the CCA print, digital, and online publishing activity by researching, writing, and editing content; managing project calendars; and ensuring deadlines are met. The incumbent liaises with authors, designers, and other contributors, and ensures adherence to standards regarding tone of voice, appearance, and style. The incumbent contributes ideas for the publishing program and works in close collaboration with the rest of the CCA editorial team and with other CCA staff to reinforce the character and visibility of the activities and holdings of the institution.
• Contributes to the CCA publishing program by suggesting, scheduling, and following up on editorial projects aligned with the institution’s vision and editorial strategy
• Researches, proposes, and develops partnerships with contributors, designers, and publishers for CCA publications
• Researches and proposes publication formats (print, online, or other) for specific editorial projects
• Stays informed of new developments in publishing and contributes this knowledge to the work of the Publications division
• Works with Communications and other CCA staff to ensure the visibility of CCA publications
• Participates in the promotion and external presentation of CCA publications
• Conducts research for CCA print, electronic, and online publications
• Recommends direction of publication projects regarding content, format, character, and form of dissemination
• Contributes to CCA publications, acting as editor or author
• Proposes, schedules, and commissions external contributions
• Researches, reviews, selects, and edits publication materials (text and visuals)
• Copyedits texts and their translations in accordance with the CCA style guide
• Collaborates with external copyeditors, graphic designers, publishers, and others involved in the editorial process
• Proofreads publication materials in English and French as needed
• In collaboration with the other members of the editorial team, produces and updates editorial guidelines for authors, editors, graphic designers, and other freelancers and suppliers involved in the publishing process
• Produces and edits the CCA newsletter in collaboration with the other members of the editorial team
• Works with the Associate Director and other staff as required to schedule and develop the editorial workflow
• Coordinates publication schedules with other CCA divisions
• Ensures that publication schedules are met
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience in architecture, the history of architecture, or a related discipline
• 3 to 5 years of editorial experience in architecture or related fields
• Broad insight into contemporary architecture
• Experience in MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and computer-aided design software
• Ability to work in French and English, with advanced writing skills in one language and proofreading skills in both
• Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style, asset
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter, in English or French) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Human Resources, Canadian Centre for Architecture, 1920 rue Baile, Montreal (Quebec) H3H 2S6. The application deadline is 19 January. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call.
The CCA is an equal opportunity employer.