Associate Director, Information Systems
Summary of CCA
The Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA) is an international research centre and museum founded on the conviction that architecture is a public concern. Responsive to the changing cultural context of our time and based on its extensive collection, exhibitions, programs, and research activities, the CCA is a leading voice in advancing knowledge, promoting public understanding, and provoking new ideas and debate on architecture, its history, theory, practice and role in society today.
The CCA’s projects are both international and local in scope comprising interdisciplinary research, exhibitions, paper and online publications, seminars, colloquia and special events, all of which enable the development of new lines of investigation and discourse, promote the study of architectural and urban culture and stimulate active engagement surrounding contemporary issues and debate across a wider public. Linking advanced research with public engagement in architecture, the CCA encourages architects, students, scholars, and other professionals to pursue projects through collaborative inquiry that traverses different times, spaces, and media.
In recent years, the CCA has seen the growth of its digital and online presence. After a first phase with the creation of a new collection comprising digital-born archival material, some ePubs and the transformation of the website into an editorial platform, the CCA has launched a long-term digital strategy that lead to the creation of two new divisions, but at the same time encompassed the entire institution.
Within this strategy, the Associate Director, IT is a key leadership position that provides a unique opportunity for an experienced professional to lead the IT division at the CCA, and with the collaboration of Digital and the Curatorial team to shape the transformation process.
The responsibilities of this job include leading the CCA’s technology efforts to amplify its mission and improve business operations. Reporting to CCA Director, working in collaboration with management, and in particular with the Digital division, the incumbent contributes to the general advancement of a digital culture inside the institution. The incumbent facilitates the digital agenda, in collaboration with the Digital division, establishes an innovative and forward-looking technology and digital strategy and actionable plan to realize them. This position uses effective leadership and interpersonal skills in implementing the vision and strategy for systems and technology. The incumbent is also responsible for planning the human, financial and material resources of the division. S/he ensures the development of the staff, the annual budget preparation, the planning and execution of IT projects, the evolution of systems according to the needs of the departments, notably the Digital division, and the sound management of infrastructure.
Technological leadership and strategy
• Establish an innovative and forward-looking technology and digital strategy and actionable plan to realize them
• Provides information technology leadership focused on CCA’s vision, mission and technology’s current and future role, notably as it pertains to digital requirements
• Drives technological innovation in partnership with the Digital team and other key stakeholders while considering its ability to invest
• Collaborates as part of the Digital team to drive technological and digital innovation in order to introduce a distinctive online character to reach and attract stakeholders
• Optimizes systems by actually leveraging strategic technology (i.e. cloud technologies)
• Leads technology initiatives and projects, and works closely with the various divisions to ensure optimal IT service delivery
• Contributes to the decision making of the organization as a member of the management team reporting to CCA’s Director
• Develops a flexible and secure IT architecture focused on quality of service, reliability, and impervious future planning
• Continuously revises technology architecture in light of emerging technologies, CCA needs and optimizes financial value
• Selects, implements and updates museum systems used to manage collections and digital assets (i.e., Collections Management, Digital Asset Management and Archival systems) to achieve a highly functional and integrated workflows
• Develops and maintains system performance metrics and monitoring approach to ensure that service levels are met in fulfilling the mission of the CCA
• Manages potential IT risks and oversees logical security
• Develops policies and procedures for the management and use of information technology
Technological expertise and performance
• Builds and maintains a diverse network of local stakeholders, national and international peers across multiple sectors in order to enhance the CCA’s presence
• Manages procurement of services, software, hardware and devices in line with strategic sourcing guidelines
• Proactively researches and stays abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends and applies them to CCA as appropriate to maintain CCA’s technological relevancy and/or achieve performance/cost efficiencies
• Uses good financial oversight to manage departmental budgets and capital projects to deliver exceptional results
• Recruits, develops, coaches and retains IT professionals to nurture a committed team
• Applies best practices in the field to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of the various teams under the incumbent’s responsibility
• Adheres to CCA policies and supports management decisions in a positive, professional manner
• Education: Bachelor degree in computer science or equivalent related experience is required
• Number of years of relevant work experience: Minimum of 10+ years relevant experience, including at least 5 in a leadership/supervisory role. Experience or prior-work in a non for profit organization and/or in the cultural sector is a definite asset.
• Excellent knowledge of spoken and written French and English
• Must have a thorough working knowledge of best-practices in IT and Digital transformation for small medium size organization and a deep understanding of current and emerging-technologies
• Knowledge of information systems in museums or the cultural field is a definite asset
• Expertise in implementing Content Management System (CMS) technologies (e.g., Drupal, Wordpress) to publish and deliver digital content via the web to a large, globally-distributed user base
• Strong knowledge in system development life cycle, system integration, networking and infrastructure, business intelligence, disaster recovery, security administration, and help desk support
• Leadership style based on openness, coaching, teamwork, collaboration, respect and active listening
• Be recognized as a strong communicator and have a great ability to work in a team
• Have a great ability to develop relationships both internally and externally
• Ability to successfully manage budgetary responsibilities, including projections and cost analyses
• Conforms to the highest professional standards in achieving results. Work is complete, accurate, on time and cost effective
• Personal integrity, strong interpersonal skills, diplomatic tactics and good will toward co-workers
• Being able to influence various groups to achieve goals
• Project management skills and methodology, including planning and organizing
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter, in English or French) by email to email@example.com to the attention of the People and Culture division of the Canadian Centre for Architecture, 1920 rue Baile, Montreal (Quebec) H3H 2S6. The application deadline is 24 June 2021. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call. The CCA is an equal opportunity employer.
The CCA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity. The CCA invites anyone with the qualifications listed in the job posting to apply.
For all CCA existing job opportunities, visit our website.
Sign up to get news from us
Thank you for signing up. You'll begin to receive emails from us shortly.
We’re not able to update your preferences at the moment. Please try again later.
You’ve already subscribed with this email address. If you’d like to subscribe with another, please try again.
This email was permanently deleted from our database. If you’d like to resubscribe with this email, please contact us
Please complete the form below to buy:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Price [Price of book]
Thank you for placing an order. We will contact you shortly.
We’re not able to process your request at the moment. Please try again later.