Technician, Conservation and Preservation
The Canadian Centre for Architecture is an institution responsive to the cultural content of our time, fueling crucial conversation with the audience. The Technician, Conservation and Preservation will operate within the CCA Collection division and collaborate closely with the Archivists, the Collection Management team and the Exhibition team. The Collection division is responsible for the strategic development of, care and access to CCA`s Collection and in doing so supporting the curatorial strategies of the institution.
The responsibilities of this job include working with Conservators and Collections staff to assess and respond to preservation housing and mounting needs. The incumbent understands preservation standards, is familiar with the design principles of the CCA, and applies these standards and principles when designing and fabricating housings and mounts for the exhibition, transport and storage of objects. The technician monitors and orders preservation material supplies in accordance with the set budget.
• Develops preservation housing plans based on housing and mounting priorities for collections, exhibitions, loans and acquisitions; fabricate housings for exhibition objects, loans, transport and storage (including mats, mount boards, book cradles, folders, boxes, etc.)
• Monitors supplies of preservation materials used for exhibitions, loans, processing projects and new acquisitions, obtains quotes from suppliers; and orders preservation materials in collaboration with Collection and Programs team members
• Assists in organizing the storage of preservation materials and equipment at CCA, in collaboration with the Collection Management team
• Installs collection objects in their housings using appropriate preservation techniques, for exhibition, transport and storage, in collaboration with the exhibition team
• Prepares condition reports and photographs collection objects
• Under the supervision of conservators, carries out certain simple conservation treatments (eg. surface cleaning)
• Acts as a courier for touring exhibitions to ensure the preservation of collection objects Assists conservators in training interns and CCA staff members in preservation principles, techniques and documentation
• Keeps abreast of advances in the field of preservation and of research related to housing collections objects
• Education: DEC in museology or equivalent
• Number of years of relevant work experience: 2 years
• Good knowledge of spoken and written English and French
• Ability to handle fragile and precious collection materials, high degree of manual dexterity
• Understanding of preventive conservation principles and ethics
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter, in English or French) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Human Resources of Canadian Centre for Architecture, 1920 rue Baile, Montreal (Quebec) H3H 2S6. The application deadline is 2 June 2019. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call.
The CCA is an equal opportunity employer.
For all CCA existing job opportunities, visit our website.
Sign up to get news from us
Thank you for signing up. You'll begin to receive emails from us shortly.
We’re not able to update your preferences at the moment. Please try again later.
You’ve already subscribed with this email address. If you’d like to subscribe with another, please try again.
This email was permanently deleted from our database. If you’d like to resubscribe with this email, please contact us
Please complete the form below to buy:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Price [Price of book]
Thank you for placing an order. We will contact you shortly.
We’re not able to process your request at the moment. Please try again later.