The Canadian Centre for Architecture is an institution responsive to the cultural content of our time founded on the conviction that architecture is a public concern. Its curatorial teams are constantly working to develop and produce new research, provocative exhibitions, critical publications, and to build a collection that reinforces all these objectives, thus contributing overall to the current discourse on architecture.
Having an excellent understanding of the challenges and the curatorial vision of the institution, the incumbent will build a relationship of trust with managers and support them in their decision-making by actively participating in operational meetings.
Working in close collaboration with the associate directors of all divisions, the incumbent will proactively and creatively bring financial management expertise in order to maintain a balanced budget and act as a resource person for the institution. He/she should be an influential spokesperson for best practices regarding budget creation, monitoring, and the accountability process. The incumbent must have an innate ability to inspire, create momentum, and achieve productive collaboration across all divisions.
The responsibilities of this job are to design, analyze, evaluate, and provide financial data and analysis to assist in decision-making. The incumbent actively participates in the work leading to the preparation of budgets and their respect.
Annual operating and project budget
• Develops, with the Associate Director Administration, the annual and multi-year budget strategy and ensures its understanding and deployment with the other divisional Associate Directors
• Coordinates, analyzes, and produces presentation documents of the budget process, as well as the related policies
• Prepares the institution’s annual budget and financial projections of revenues and expenses
• Ensures the optimization of the current financial systems and the development of management tools to support the budget process and monitoring
• Advises managers in establishing their budgets (divisional, projects and asset maintenance) and assists them with the production of management reports
Accounting, investments and payroll
• Ensures compliance with Canadian accounting standards for non-profit organizations and sees to their application
• Maintains the performance of financial tools through sound governance of accounting systems
• Develops and maintains effective internal control systems and advises managers on their application or interpretation
• Prepares and analyzes monthly and annual financial statements; develops performance indicators and dashboards to facilitate decision-making
• Works in collaboration with the associate directors to ensure an alignment of the financial tools and formats with the curatorial vision of the institution
• Manages the institution’s funds and investments by acting as a resource person with financial institutions and the external fund manager
• Prepares the end-of-year audit file for the external auditor
• Supervises and coordinates the functions related to payroll and ensures vigilant control of salary mass with annual salary budget
• Acts as employer representative on the Pension Committee
• Manages and controls all accounting activities related to the pension plan and the annual end-of-year file for the audit, as well as reports and annual declarations
General administration and inventory
• Supervise the members of the staff of his/her department; ensures their commitment and understanding towards the curatorial vision while promoting their professional development and their integration within the institution
• Manages and negotiates the institution’s insurance contracts and external storage lease
• Participates in the negotiation of purchase and service contracts for office equipment, mail, messaging and stationery
• Coordinates the bookstore inventory process and verification
• Ensures compliance with the asset disposal policy in force
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in financial accounting; CPA professional title in good standing
• Studies or experience in accounting, financial analysis, cost accounting, management of cultural or charity organizations an asset
• Number of years of relevant work experience: 7 to 10 in the management of an accounting department
• Excellent knowledge of spoken and written French and English; ability to write and revise documents
• In-depth knowledge of accounting software, NAV an asset
• Have excellent skills for working with management accounting and financial performance systems as well as for developing dashboards and metrics; ability to disseminate financial information
• Management style based on openness, coaching, teamwork, collaboration, respect, active listening and caring for co-workers
• Is recognized as a good communicator; great ability to develop internal and external relationships
• Integrity, diplomacy, discretion and concern for confidentiality
• Excellent sense of organization, planning and priority management
This position has both a significant strategic and operational component.
A psychometric test and a knowledge test will be administered during the selection process.
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter) by email to email@example.com to the attention of Human Resources, Canadian Centre for Architecture, 1920 rue Baile, Montreal (Quebec) H3H 2S6. The application deadline is 15 March 2020. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call. The CCA is an equal opportunity employer.
For all CCA existing job opportunities, visit our website.
Sign up to get news from us
Thank you for signing up. You'll begin to receive emails from us shortly.
We’re not able to update your preferences at the moment. Please try again later.
You’ve already subscribed with this email address. If you’d like to subscribe with another, please try again.
This email was permanently deleted from our database. If you’d like to resubscribe with this email, please contact us
Please complete the form below to buy:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Price [Price of book]
Thank you for placing an order. We will contact you shortly.
We’re not able to process your request at the moment. Please try again later.