In 1982, the CCA organized its first exhibition, Photography and Architecture: 1839–1939, prior to the construction of the CCA’s current building. The exhibition was shown in Galerie Lempertz Contempora in Cologne (1982), the Art Institute of Chicago (1983), the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York (1983), Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris (1984), and the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa (1984).
Photography and Architecture: 1839–1939 presents works that show aspects of the history of architecture seen through photography, and the history of photography through architecture. The images illustrate the relationship between the creative intentions of innovative masters and the rapidly evolving processes available to them.
Curator: Richard Pare, CCA.