The responsibilities of this job include handling of collection objects in general, including incoming and outgoing shipments, accessioning additions to the collection—archives, individual objects and digital assets—and tracking objects borrowed for exhibitions. The incumbent is responsible for moving objects internally and arranging local transportation as well as entering object and location data into the collection management system (TMS). He/she will collaborate with staff across the CCA on access to objects for internal projects and external researchers in the fulfillment of object reference requests.
Shipping and object reception
• Manages shipping and delivery arrangements for objects, particularly for local transport
• Monitors, loads and unloads new acquisition and loan deliveries
• Packs and unpacks collection objects and borrowed objects including retro-fitting crates, preparing crating lists and submissions for fabrication of crates
• Verifies condition of received objects, tracks arrival of objects in the collection management system and manages receipts
• Registers new collection acquisitions, including numbering and identifying of materials, handling objects, determining storage locations and recommends inspections
• Collaborates for identification, inventory, and retrieval of the physical computer storage media in the collection
Internal object movement and collection management
• Manages and implements the isolation and movement of objects from the collection internally for exhibitions, loans, research and processing projects
• Verifies and updates object locations of collection materials in the collection management system
• Takes object identification photographs and adds them to the collection management system
• Collaborates with staff and external researchers to locate requested collection materials to fulfill research and reference requests
• Collaborates with archivists to facilitate the integration and processing of new additions to the archives
• Collaborates with Conservation/Preservation staff to fabricate object housings for storage and transport
• Monitors the inventory of packing crates, material and equipment, the inventory of preservation materials for the collection as well as facilitating the physical maintenance of collection storage spaces
• Assists with installation and de-installation of exhibitions, preparing inventories of materials for travelling exhibition
• Education: DEC in museology or equivalent
• Number of years of relevant work experience: 2 to 5 years
• Ability to work effectively in French and English
• Dexterity and ability to work with delicate objects
• Attention to detail
• Physical strength
• Experience in moving museum collections
• Ability to use a forklift, an asset
• Knowledge of The Museum System (TMS) collection management system, an asset
• Flexible schedule; the incumbent may occasionally be asked to work late or on weekends in the event of a delivery, pickup or presentation of objects in the collection must take place outside of business hours
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter, in English or French) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Human Resources of Canadian Centre for Architecture, 1920 rue Baile, Montreal (Quebec) H3H 2S6. The application deadline is 4 September 2020. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call.
The CCA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity. The CCA invites anyone having the qualifications listed in the job posting to apply.
For all CCA existing job opportunities, visit our website.
Sign up to get news from us
Thank you for signing up. You'll begin to receive emails from us shortly.
We’re not able to update your preferences at the moment. Please try again later.
You’ve already subscribed with this email address. If you’d like to subscribe with another, please try again.
This email was permanently deleted from our database. If you’d like to resubscribe with this email, please contact us
Please complete the form below to buy:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Price [Price of book]
Thank you for placing an order. We will contact you shortly.
We’re not able to process your request at the moment. Please try again later.