Research Assistant, Office of the Founding Director
The responsibilities of this job include conducting research and fact-checking required to complete the working manuscript of a publication by Phyllis Lambert to be titled How Does Your City Grow.
The book, based on a series of approximately 150 photographs of Montréal’s grey limestone buildings taken by Richard Pare with the author in the early 1970s, presents a study of city growth in North America as seen through extant buildings that result from two overlapping colonial processes. Buildings and the single local material that defines them are surveyed considering where and how they are sited, the actors involved in their realization, and the many factors at the time of their construction that affect their architectural expression and their role in the development of the city.
• Review accuracy of information contained in the text and the image captions and suggest improvements
• Identify and research missing historical information regarding sites, buildings, activities, and occupants
• Survey correspondence and discrepancy between the manuscript and current scholarship
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in urban or architectural history with in-depth knowledge of the history of Montréal
• Ability to work consistently and to meet deadlines
• Ability to understand and explain salient issues
• Experience in archival research
• Fluency in reading and writing in French and English
Conditions of employment
• Nine-month contract beginning in July 2022, at the latest
• Remuneration is competitive in field and research status
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter, in English or French) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the People and Culture division of Canadian Centre for Architecture, 1920 rue Baile, Montréal (Québec) H3H 2S6. The application deadline is 12 June 2022. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call.
The CCA has an employment equity policy and encourages diversity. The CCA invites applications from anyone with the qualifications listed in the job posting.
For all existing job opportunities at the CCA, visit our website.
You can search for everything here—our exhibitions and events, our archives, the library and bookstore, the articles we publish. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Sign up to get news from us
Thank you for signing up. You'll begin to receive emails from us shortly.
We’re not able to update your preferences at the moment. Please try again later.
You’ve already subscribed with this email address. If you’d like to subscribe with another, please try again.
This email was permanently deleted from our database. If you’d like to resubscribe with this email, please contact us
Please complete the form below to buy:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Price [Price of book]
Thank you for placing an order. We will contact you shortly.
We’re not able to process your request at the moment. Please try again later.