The Disco, tomorrow? workshop is available for bookings by classes (high school) and for private groups of at least six people. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information or to schedule this workshop.
For high school students
Starting from the innovative and radical ideas of 1960s Italian architecture collectives, who imagined new kind of utopias and mostly built discos, students will develop creative designs combining strange new uses—first individually through furniture, like a sofa that is also a water well, and then in groups to produce a disco. This can mix a dancefloor and a drugstore, a bar and a vegetable farm, or a DJ booth and a bank. Following our weird rules, they will draw and model a disco from the floor to the ceiling.
This program is made of 5 parts:
• A presentation showing furniture designed the radical Italians and its historical context: pop art, social revolution, post-war cultural changes, and the hippie movement.
• A drawing activity where students individually design furniture linking two apparently opposed ideas: a cake-chair, a diving-board-bed, or table-lips. This furniture serves as a catalogue for the following steps.
• A presentation explaining the concept of leisure and its importance to the Italian radicals, especially their work on discos. At that time, the discos were new places for youth to express new freedoms and experiment with technology, performances, and music.
• In groups, students produce one part of a disco linking apparently opposed ideas: a pharmacy where you can dance, a bar-farm, or a living-room-swimming-pool. The furniture already made can be used to furnish their spaces.
• A discussion where all the groups join their parts to make a global disco.
Disco, tomorrow? is a two hour workshop given year round in English and French. We can accommodate up to 40 students per visit. To make a reservation or for more information, please contact us at email@example.com or call +1 514 939 7002.
You can search for everything here—our exhibitions and events, our archives, the library and bookstore, the articles we publish. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up to get news from us
Thank you for signing up. You'll begin to receive emails from us shortly.
We’re not able to update your preferences at the moment. Please try again later.
You’ve already subscribed with this email address. If you’d like to subscribe with another, please try again.
This email was permanently deleted from our database. If you’d like to resubscribe with this email, please contact us
Please complete the form below to buy:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Price [Price of book]
Thank you for placing an order. We will contact you shortly.
We’re not able to process your request at the moment. Please try again later.