- Kiran Mukerji (archive creator)
- African Architecture Matters (archive creator)
Kiran Mukerji Collection
Level of archival description:
Extent and medium:
0.04 l.m. of textual records
4 videorecordings (VHS)
Scope and content:
The Kiran Mukerji collection contains materials from the 1970s to about 2011, collected by Mukerji during his research commissions on architecture in tropical climates for the Institut für Tropenbau (Institute for Tropical Building) and later as an independent consultant.
The collection consists mostly of publications, which have been transferred to the library to facilitate description and access. They can be found and requested for consultation on the CCA website using the search term "Kiran Mukerji Collection". The published material consists of approximately 200 books and 150 periodicals largely in German and English, dating from the mid-1960s to the early 2000s, with the majority of books published in the 1970s and 80s. The Mukerji collection concentrate on the theme of appropriate building technologies in developing countries. Books pertaining to earth and brick construction are a particular focus. Other themes include ecological building materials and construction, engineering handbooks, and designs for small health centers in developing countries with an emphasis on sanitation measures. In addition, Mukerji inserted relevant newspaper and journal articles in to many of the books in the collection; these related ephemera are described in the catalogue records of their host items.
The Mukerji collection also includes his research reports on low-cost building technologies, and photocopies of publications. Also included are videorecordings on post-disaster construction.
The Kiran Mukerji collection contains four files describing Mukerji’s research material on low-cost building technics and material, water access, recycling and reuse. One last file documents Mukerji’s curriculum vitae. Researchers can search for publications from the Kiran Mukerji collection on CCA’s website by using the search term “Kiran Mukerji collection”.
Kiran Mukerji is an architect and researcher working mainly on building design and construction technologies in tropical climates. He is specialized in health issues, and affordable, low ecological impact building and design technics. He worked as the only dedicated researcher of the Institut für Tropenbau (Institute for Tropical Building) in Starnberg, Germany, with Georg Lippsmeier between 1973 and 1985. After leaving the Institute in 1985, Mukerji undertook his own research on building materials and also worked as a consultant on construction of health-care buildings. In 1988, he published, with Roland Stulz, the book “Appropriate building materials: a catalogue of potential solutions.”
Conditions governing access:
- Access by appointment only.
Conditions governing reproduction:
- For copyright information or permission to reproduce material from the collection, please contact the CCA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer:
- Gift of African Architecture Matters in 2016.
- The Kiran Mukerji collection remained in Mukerji’s custody until he donated it in April 2014 to African Architecture Matters (AAM), a non-governmental organization with consultation project in Africa. Along with the Coen Beeker collection and the Georg Lippsmeier collection, the Kiran Mukerji collection was acquired by AAM to give access to scholars and researchers to a collection of material on African and tropical climate architecture and urbanism. The Kiran Mukerji collection, the Coen Beeker collection, and the Georg Lippsmeier collection were acquired by the Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA) from AAM in March 2016. The material was transferred to CCA in the fall of 2016.
- The collection materials were processed and described by Catherine Jacob in fall 2017. The collection guide was created in collaboration with Devon Lemire who catalogued the publications from the Kiran Mukerji collection.
When citing the collection as a whole, use the following citation:
Kiran Mukerji Collection
Collection Centre Canadien d'Architecture/
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal;
Gift of African Architecture Matters
When citing specific collection material, please refer to the object’s specific credit line.
Language of material:
- Dutch, French, and English.
Related units of description:
- A list of the periodicals from Kiran Mukerji collection can be found here: http://hip.cca.qc.ca/biblio/Horizon/inventaires/BIB248192---R301989.htm
The list only includesperiodicals kept in the library. For monographs researchers should use the keyword search on the CCA website using the search term "Kiran Mukerji collection."
- An interview of Antoni Folkers and Belinda van Buiten, founding members of ArchiAfrika and donors of this collection, is held by the CCA's Library (BIB 253608).
CD038.002, Video recordings on emergency architecture after environmental disasters, 1990s
CD038.003, Research material on low-cost building technics and material, 1977-1996
CD038.004, Research material on water access and preservation, 1984-1996
CD038.005, Research material on reuse and recycling, 2007
CD038.006, Kiran Mukerji's curriculum vitae, 2013