- Reginald Malcolmson (creator)
- Reginald Malcolmson (archive creator)
Reginald Malcolmson fonds
Level of archival description:
Extent and medium:
- 2,557 drawings
0.10 l.m photographic materials
4.15 l.m. textual records
587 sketchbooks, diaries and notebooks
about 21 models
Scope and content:
The fonds documents the student work and professional practice of architect Reginald Malcolmson. It illustrates Malcolmson's studies in Ireland, England and the United States and architectural projects undertaken in Ireland, Mexico, South America and in the United States, including competitions, urban planning, furniture design, theoretical and exhibition projects, and Malcolmson's activities as teacher and author. There are nearly 600 sketchbooks, notebooks and diaries covering the majority of his career from his arrival in the United States in 1947 until 1991. Extensive textual documents relate to Malcolmson's travels and to his activities as teacher and author, including drafts of essays and book manuscripts.
The archive comprises some 50 projects, from student work of the 1930s and 1940s to projects undertaken in Ireland, the United States and South America up until 1991.
This fonds has not yet been arranged.
Reginald Francis Malcolmson was born in 1912 in Dublin, Ireland. He studied architecture at Trinity College in Dublin, the College of Technology in Belfast, and the Royal Institute of British Architects in London before entering private practice in Belfast in 1945. In 1947 he left Ireland to study with Mies van der Rohe at the Illinois Institute of Technology (1947-49). Malcolmson worked in the Office of Mies van der Rohe from 1948 through 1955 and was in private practice in Ann Arbor, Michigan, from 1966 until 1992. He also taught architecture at IIT (1949-64), the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1964-74), and as a Fulbright lecturer at various universities in South America (1968-69). Malcolmson was named a Fellow of the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts in 1961. He died in Michigan in 1992.
Conditions governing access:
- This fonds is unprocessed. Physical material from the fonds will not be open for research until processing is complete. Some materials may already be accessible for on-site research on a by-request basis. To inquire about potential access to this material, please contact Collection Reference (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Reginald Malcolmson fonds remained in the custody of the family in Ann Arbor, Michigan after Malcolmson's death in 1992 until its transfer to the CCA in 1998.
- Preliminary processing of the Reginald Malcolmson fonds was completed from 2010 to 2011 by Howard Shubert.
Language of material:
- Documents are in English.