Personnes et institutions:
- Susan W. Wagg (archive creator)
Collection de l’exposition Money Matters
Niveau de description archivistique:
- 0.91 l.m. of textual records
681 photographic materials
Présentation du contenu:
The collection documents the research of Susan Wagg, one of the curators of the exhibition “Money Matters: A Critical Look at Bank Architecture”, on bank buildings in the United States and in Canada, from 1795 to 1979. It contains her research files on each of the bank buildings presented in the exhibition, research on the architects who designed them, and general research on the design of bank buildings. The collection also documents the photograhic commission of the banks by photographers Robert Bourdeau, Edward Burtynsky, David Duchow, David Miller, Marilyn Bridges, James Iska, Len Jenshel, John Pfahl, George Tice, Catherine Wagner and Serge Hambourg.
The collection contains research files that includes photocopies of articles and other publications on the selected bank buildings, leaflets and promotional documents from banks, some correspondence, and Susan Wagg's notes. The collection also includes contact sheets sent by the photographers commissioned for the exhibition and instructions to photographers for the visual documentation of the selected bank buildings.
Numéro de référence:
Mode de classement:
The fonds is arranged in two series:
CD042.S2 Photographic commission
The exhibition “Money Matters: A Critical Look at Bank Architecture” was organized by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the Parnassus Foundation and was curated by Anne Tucker of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, with Susan Wagg in 1990. The exhibition surveys the history and cultural significance of bank architecture, focusing on bank architecture as a building typology rather than in the context of a single architect or architectural firm. It did so by presenting over 170 photographs by 11 contemporary photographers, such as Edward Burtynsky, David Miller, Catherine Wagner and Serge Hambourg. The exhibition travelled to the Canadian Centre for Architecture from November 14, 1990 to February 24, 1991 and was presented in the main galleries. It also travelled to the Chicago Historical Society, the Vancouver Museum, the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, and the National Building Museum in Washington, DC.
- Access by appointment only.
Conditions de réproduction:
- For copyright information or permission to reproduce material from the fonds, please contact the CCA (email@example.com).
Historique de la conservation:
- The Money Matters exhibition collection was donated by Susan Wagg to the CCA in 2015. The material was previously kept at Susan Wagg's residence.
Notes de l’archiviste:
- The Money Matters exhibition collection was arranged and described in August 2019 by Catherine Jacob.
Mention de crédit:
When citing the collection as a whole, use the citation:
Money Matters exhibition collection
Collection Centre Canadien d'Architecture/
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal;
Don de Susan W. Wagg/
Gift of Susan W. Wagg
When citing specific collection material, please refer to the object’s specific credit line.
Langue et écriture des documents:
- The Museum of Fine Arts of Houston also holds in their archives records on the exhibition "Money Matters: A Critical Look at Bank Architecture": Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Archives. RG05:01-34 Office of the Registrar, Exhibition Files, Money Matters: A Critical Look at Bank Architecture, 1986-1993.