Projet
AP018.S1.1962.PR03
Description:
This project series documents the design and construction of Ottawa Union Station in Ottawa, Ontario from 1962-1966. The office identified the project number as 6253. This project consisted of a 96,000 square foot train station building, platforms, canopies and site services. The building had two levels, which included a basement and two-storey ground floor. Passengers connected to the station platforms through the basement from the ground floor via a helicoidal ramp in the centre of the building. The passenger concourse was sheltered by a great steel truss roof that had 8 massive columns supporting it. The ground floor included bedrooms, offices, storage, and food and beverage areas. The building, owned by CN Railways, was commissioned by the National Capital Commission, who are recorded as the primary architect on the project, with E.W. Thrift as general manager, and with John B. Parkin Associates acting as consulting architects. The firm of John B. Parkin Associates was presented with a Silver Massey Medal in Architecture in 1967 for the design of this building. The project is recorded through reprographic copies of architectural and structural drawings dating from 1965-1966.
1965-1966
Ottawa Union Station, Ottawa, Ontario (1962-1966)
Actions:
AP018.S1.1962.PR03
Description:
This project series documents the design and construction of Ottawa Union Station in Ottawa, Ontario from 1962-1966. The office identified the project number as 6253. This project consisted of a 96,000 square foot train station building, platforms, canopies and site services. The building had two levels, which included a basement and two-storey ground floor. Passengers connected to the station platforms through the basement from the ground floor via a helicoidal ramp in the centre of the building. The passenger concourse was sheltered by a great steel truss roof that had 8 massive columns supporting it. The ground floor included bedrooms, offices, storage, and food and beverage areas. The building, owned by CN Railways, was commissioned by the National Capital Commission, who are recorded as the primary architect on the project, with E.W. Thrift as general manager, and with John B. Parkin Associates acting as consulting architects. The firm of John B. Parkin Associates was presented with a Silver Massey Medal in Architecture in 1967 for the design of this building. The project is recorded through reprographic copies of architectural and structural drawings dating from 1965-1966.
Project
1965-1966
DR1987:0062
Description:
General view - This drawing is one of four drawings by Arata Isozaki for the "City in the Air" schemes of 1960-1963. Three of these drawings are studies for the "Clusters in the Air" project of 1960-1962: a sketch showing a general view of the project, DR1987:0117, a more finished version of the same view, DR1987:0062, and a three-stage sketch showing trees becoming a forest, DR1987:0116. The sketch of trees demonstrates the principal idea behind the "Clusters in the Air" project; enormous supports (trunks) support passageways (branches) to which living units (leaves) are gradually added. The trees develope side by side, with branches of different trees joining up, creating a "forest" (Isozaki 1992, 20-23, 29). the subject of the fourth drawing, DR1987:0061, is unclear although it is possibly a conceptual drawing for the Marunouchi Project of 1963, a proposal for a "City in the Air" in the central business district of Tokyo (Isozaki 1992, 27, 29). All four drawings are executed on sheets perforated with square holes for insertion into a spiral notebook.
architecture
between 1960-1962
Sketch for the Clusters in the Air Project, Tokyo
Actions:
DR1987:0062
Description:
General view - This drawing is one of four drawings by Arata Isozaki for the "City in the Air" schemes of 1960-1963. Three of these drawings are studies for the "Clusters in the Air" project of 1960-1962: a sketch showing a general view of the project, DR1987:0117, a more finished version of the same view, DR1987:0062, and a three-stage sketch showing trees becoming a forest, DR1987:0116. The sketch of trees demonstrates the principal idea behind the "Clusters in the Air" project; enormous supports (trunks) support passageways (branches) to which living units (leaves) are gradually added. The trees develope side by side, with branches of different trees joining up, creating a "forest" (Isozaki 1992, 20-23, 29). the subject of the fourth drawing, DR1987:0061, is unclear although it is possibly a conceptual drawing for the Marunouchi Project of 1963, a proposal for a "City in the Air" in the central business district of Tokyo (Isozaki 1992, 27, 29). All four drawings are executed on sheets perforated with square holes for insertion into a spiral notebook.
architecture
dessins
DR1987:0063
Description:
- This travel sketch by Charles Wirgman shows the interior of the Palais de L'Industrie, Paris, most likely during the unpacking of objects for the 1855 Universal Exposition.
architecture, ingénierie
1855
Interior of the Palais de l'Industrie, looking west
Actions:
DR1987:0063
Description:
- This travel sketch by Charles Wirgman shows the interior of the Palais de L'Industrie, Paris, most likely during the unpacking of objects for the 1855 Universal Exposition.
dessins
1855
architecture, ingénierie
dessins
DR1987:0074
1929
dessins
1929
Projet
AP018.S1.1965.PR02
Description:
This project series documents the Imperial Oil product application and technical services laboratory in Sarnia, Ontario from 1965-1966. The office identified the project number as 6509. This project consisted of a one-storey building that contained process areas, equipment rooms, testing rooms, a shipping area and offices for technicians and engineers. The project was also known as the PVC Applications Laboratory, since its purpose to support marketing of Polyvinyl Chloride. This building, resting on a 102,400 square foot site, was designed with narrow slot type windows to ensure environmental controls could be met within it. It had a steel frame with dark sable brick exteriors and a plastic fascia manufactured by the client. The client's plastics were also used throughout the interiors. The project is recorded through drawings dating from 1965-1966. The drawings are mostly reprographic copies of construction plans, elevations, details, schedules, layouts, and mechanical, electrical and structural drawings.
1965-1966
Imperial Oil Enterprises Ltd., Product Application and Technical Services Laboratory, Sarnia, Ontario (1965-1966)
Actions:
AP018.S1.1965.PR02
Description:
This project series documents the Imperial Oil product application and technical services laboratory in Sarnia, Ontario from 1965-1966. The office identified the project number as 6509. This project consisted of a one-storey building that contained process areas, equipment rooms, testing rooms, a shipping area and offices for technicians and engineers. The project was also known as the PVC Applications Laboratory, since its purpose to support marketing of Polyvinyl Chloride. This building, resting on a 102,400 square foot site, was designed with narrow slot type windows to ensure environmental controls could be met within it. It had a steel frame with dark sable brick exteriors and a plastic fascia manufactured by the client. The client's plastics were also used throughout the interiors. The project is recorded through drawings dating from 1965-1966. The drawings are mostly reprographic copies of construction plans, elevations, details, schedules, layouts, and mechanical, electrical and structural drawings.
Project
1965-1966
dessins
DR1987:0075
1932
dessins
1932
dessins
DR1987:0076
1902
dessins
1902
Projet
AP018.S1.1960.PR02
Description:
This project series documents the Imperial Oil Ontario region office in North York, Ontario from 1960-1962. The office identified the project number as 6049. This project consisted of a three-storey, 110,000 square foot building located at the corner of Don Mills Road and Eglington Avenue. The front entrance was accessed from a circular driveway off Wynford Drive, with parking lots on either side that held 330 vehicles. The basement level had storage rooms, machine and boiler rooms, a telephone switch gear room and shipping areas. The first floor included food service areas, offices, locker rooms, and a doctor's office complete with x-ray rooms, treatment areas and a quiet room for female employees, among others. The second floor contained administrative areas for accounting, data control and banking, while the third floor contained more offices. The building's frame consisted of a rectangular steel skeleton faced with concrete panels. The ground level was recessed 20 feet to allow for sidewalks around the building. Concrete columns at this level supported the upper two storeys. The landscaped surroundings include long, fountain-spotted reflecting pools. This project won the silver Massey Medal for Architecture in 1964, as well as an honourable distinction at the International Exhibition of Architects VIII Biennial of São Paula in 1965. The project is recorded through drawings, textual records and a photograph dating from 1961-1970. The drawings are mostly reprographic copies that include plans, sections, elevations, details, schedules and electrical, mechanical and structural drawings. The textual records consist of specifications originally arranged with the drawings. The photograph shows the finished buillding.
1961 - 1970
Imperial Oil Limited, Ontario Region Office Building, North York (1960-1962)
Actions:
AP018.S1.1960.PR02
Description:
This project series documents the Imperial Oil Ontario region office in North York, Ontario from 1960-1962. The office identified the project number as 6049. This project consisted of a three-storey, 110,000 square foot building located at the corner of Don Mills Road and Eglington Avenue. The front entrance was accessed from a circular driveway off Wynford Drive, with parking lots on either side that held 330 vehicles. The basement level had storage rooms, machine and boiler rooms, a telephone switch gear room and shipping areas. The first floor included food service areas, offices, locker rooms, and a doctor's office complete with x-ray rooms, treatment areas and a quiet room for female employees, among others. The second floor contained administrative areas for accounting, data control and banking, while the third floor contained more offices. The building's frame consisted of a rectangular steel skeleton faced with concrete panels. The ground level was recessed 20 feet to allow for sidewalks around the building. Concrete columns at this level supported the upper two storeys. The landscaped surroundings include long, fountain-spotted reflecting pools. This project won the silver Massey Medal for Architecture in 1964, as well as an honourable distinction at the International Exhibition of Architects VIII Biennial of São Paula in 1965. The project is recorded through drawings, textual records and a photograph dating from 1961-1970. The drawings are mostly reprographic copies that include plans, sections, elevations, details, schedules and electrical, mechanical and structural drawings. The textual records consist of specifications originally arranged with the drawings. The photograph shows the finished buillding.
Project
1961 - 1970
dessins
DR1987:0077
1902
dessins
1902
DR1987:0078
1902