Personnes et institutions:
- Zéphirin Perrault (architect)
- Zéphirin Perrault (archive creator)
Fonds Zéphirin Perrault
Niveau de description archivistique:
- Approximately 65 drawings
5 textual documents
Présentation du contenu:
The Zéphirin Perrault fonds, 1866-1885, documents architect Zéphirin Perrault’s design and plan of approximately ten churches in rural Québec and the St. Michael Cathedral in Toronto, Ontario. A drawing by Victor Bourgneau (1809-1888) is also included in this fonds.
The fonds mainly consists of working drawings and several presentation drawings. Textual documentation includes an envelope addressed to Joseph Perrault, 3 topographical maps, and an illustrated catalogue of the Barnum Wire and Iron Works.
Numéro de référence:
Mode de classement:
This fonds has not yet been arranged.
Zéphirin Perrault was born on July13, 1834 in Deschambault, Québec; he was the son of Nicolas Perrault and Marie-Angélique Mayrand. In 1862, Perrault married Marie Fresne in Montréal, Québec.
Little is known about Perrault’s life. Perrault may have studied sculpture and architecture in the Montréal area. From 1848-1959, he was an active architect in Montréal and from 1860-1885, he worked in Deschambault. In 1888, Perrault was appointed mayor of Deschambault for three years. Perrault passed away on June 12, 1906.
Perrault’s built projects include the Sainte-Henri-de Lauzon Church (circa 1848-1885), the Sainte-Étienne Church (circa 1860-1885), the Sainte-Léon Church (1866), the Sainte-Angèle de Laval Church (1868), the decorations for the de Nicolet Church (1873), the Sainte-Narcisse Church (1874), and the Zéphirin Perrault home in Deschambault (1885).
Perrault participated in the restoration and expansion of the several churches: the Sainte-Louis Church (1875), the Sainte-Joseph Church (1875), and the Sainte-Charles-des-Grondines Church (1879). He also designed and sculpted religious pieces, including the altars for the Sainte-Joseph de Deschambault Church (1875).
- Access by appointment only.
Conditions de réproduction:
- For copyright information or permission to reproduce material from the fonds, please contact the CCA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Zéphirin Perrault fonds was purchased by the CCA in 1999.
Historique de la conservation:
- The Zéphirin Perrault fonds was purchased by the Canadian Centre for Architecture on November 22, 1999. These materials remained at the Perrault household in Deschambault, until their discovery by the home’s new proprietor. Materials remained at the house for several years until 1997, when a fire broke out. The drawings received substantial water damage. The drawings were restored at the Centre de conservation du Québec and then transferred to the CCA.
Notes de l’archiviste:
- This fonds has not yet been arranged. A fonds level description was created by Patricia Di Palma on March 13, 2017.
Île de Montréal
Mention de crédit:
When citing the collection as a whole, use the following citation:
Zéphirin Perrault fonds
Collection Centre Canadien d'Architecture/
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal
When citing specific collection material, please refer to the object’s specific credit line.
Langue et écriture des documents: