Fonds Ludger et Paul M. Lemieux
The Ludger and Paul M. Lemieux fonds, 1897-1966, documents the built projects of Québec architectural firm, Ludger & Paul M. Lemieux. The 500 projects that are represented in this fonds are divided by the architectural works of Macduff & Lemieux (1897-1917), Ludger Lemieux (1910-1950), Ludger & Paul M. Lemieux (1929-1951), and Paul M. Lemieux (1934-1966). These built projects vary in scope and size and include religious, educational, residential, commercial, governmental and industrial buildings. The largest portion of the archive corresponds to 318 built projects designed by Paul M. Lemieux and comprises of 3633 of the drawings in this fonds.
The fonds contains an extensive number of architectural drawings, consisting of field surveys, sketches, preliminary designs, presentation and working drawings as well as mechanical, electrical, and interior design prints. The 320 photographs present architectural models, construction sites and provide interior and exterior views of completed buildings.
Textual documentation comprises of professional correspondence, meeting minutes, agendas, annual reports, contracts, financial statements, estimates, receipts, certificate of payments, timesheets, directories and clippings of newspapers and magazines. Personal documents relate specifically to Paul M. Lemieux’s personal affairs and include correspondence, poems, certificates, diplomas, financial statements, and commercial and real estate investment documentation.
This fonds has not yet been arranged.
Ludger Lemieux (1872-1953) was born in West Farnham, Québec. He studied architecture at McGill University in Montréal, Québec. In 1897, he joined the Province of Québec Association of Architects and in that same year, he founded the architectural firm, Macduff & Lemieux, with architect Joseph Honoré Macduff (1869-1918).
Born in Longueil, Québec, Joseph Honoré Macduff had studied architecture for three years under architect, J.H. Bernard; Macduff then worked with a private tutor in Toronto for two additional years. In 1892, Macduff opened an architectural office in Montréal before becoming an associate at Macduff & Lemieux. In 1897, Macduff registered with the Province of Québec Association of Architects. The firm operated as Lemieux & Macduff until 1918, when Macduff passed away. Notable Montréal projects completed by Macduff & Lemieux are the Manufacture Lang Biscuit (1900), the Manufacture Tooke Brothers Ltd. (1901, 1911-1913), the Workman Building (1907), the Saint-Zotique Church (1910; 1927, Ludger Lemieux and Charbonneau), the Saint-Irénée Church (1912), and the Saint-Charles Church (1914).
From 1918 to 1931, Lemieux worked independently under the name Ludger Lemieux –
his most well-known project of the period is the Saint Henri Fire station no. 23 (1931). In 1931, Lemieux partnered with his son, Paul Marie Lemieux (1902-1969). Paul M. Lemieux had worked at various architectural firms in Paris, and in 1930, he had received an architecture degree from the École nationale des Beaux-Arts. The firm was re-established and named Ludger & Paul M. Lemieux. Together, they designed various residential, recreational, commercial, industrial, governmental and religious buildings in Québec. Their most notable project to date is the art deco-inspired Atwater Market (1933), located by the Lachine Canal in Montréal.
In 1953, Ludger Lemieux passed away; Paul M. Lemieux maintained the practice until his own retirement in 1966. Throughout his professional career, Paul M. Lemieux was an active member of several associations, including the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, the Québec Association of Architects, the Ontario Association of Architects, and the Architects’ Association of New Brunswick. He is also known for competing in the RIBA headquarters design competition in the early 1930s.
The Ludger and Paul M. Lemieux fonds was donated to the Canadian Centre for Architecture on June 25, 1982 by Robert Lemieux. On January 17, 1995, Serge Joyal donated a drawing of the Saint-Zotique Church. In 1997, the CCA purchased 6 watercolour drawings of Paul M. Lemieux’s design for the RIBA building and 1 watercolour drawing of an unidentified residence.
Montréal Île de Montréal Québec Canada
When citing the collection as a whole, use the following citation:
Ludger and Paul M. Lemieux fonds
Collection Centre Canadien d'Architecture/
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal
When citing specific collection material, please refer to the object’s specific credit line.
Inscrivez-vous pour recevoir de nos nouvelles
Merci. Vous êtes maintenant abonné. Vous recevrez bientôt nos courriels.
Pour le moment, notre système n’est pas capable de mettre à jour vos préférences. Veuillez réessayer plus tard.
Vous êtes déjà inscrit avec cette adresse électronique. Si vous souhaitez vous inscrire avec une autre adresse, merci de réessayer.
Cete adresse courriel a été définitivement supprimée de notre base de données. Si vous souhaitez vous réabonner avec cette adresse courriel, veuillez contactez-nous
Veuillez, s'il vous plaît, remplir le formulaire ci-dessous pour acheter:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Prix [Price of book]
Merci d'avoir passé une commande. Nous vous contacterons sous peu.
Nous ne sommes pas en mesure de traiter votre demande pour le moment. Veuillez réessayer plus tard.