Fonds PGL architectes
The PGL architectes fonds, 1965-1992, documents Papineau Gérin-Lajoie Le Blanc architectes’ (PGL) planning, design and construction of various Canadian and international built projects. The main projects documented in this fonds are the University of Ottawa’s Physical Education Building in Ottawa, Ontario (1975); the Mirabel Airport in Mirabel, Québec(1977); and the Place du Portage, Phase IV in Hull, Québec (1980). Approximately 25 other built projects are represented in this fonds, including those completed in the Great North, such as the Frobisher Elementary School in Nakasuk, North West Territories (1971); Airport Fort Chimo in Fort Chimo, Québec (1971); the Igloolik Science Laboratory in Igloolik, North West Territories (1974); Kuujjuarapik School in Nunivak, Québec (1986); and the Frobisher Bay Airport (now Iqaluit Airport) in Iqaluit, Nunavut (1987).
Materials in this fonds are extensive and range from projects completed by PGL (1968-1982) and works realized by Guy Gérin-Lajoie (1982-1992).The fonds contains a number of architectural drawings, consisting of site maps and surveys, preliminary designs, presentation drawings, shop drawings, and working drawings that are unique to each building. Structural, mechanical and electrical prints are also included in this fonds.
The photographs provide interior and exterior views of completed buildings. Approximately 750 of these photographs illustrate the construction phases of the Frobisher Bay Airport. Presentation panels are mounted on boards and display preliminary designs, drawings and photographs of built projects from various perspectives.
Textual documentation comprises of project files, consisting of conceptual studies, contracts, correspondence, organizational charts, timetables, budgets, certificate of payments, change orders, instruction manuals as well as inspection and progress reports and minutes for design, worksite and coordination meetings.
A model of Place de Portage is also included in this archive.
This fonds has not yet been arranged.
Papineau Gérin-Lajoie Le Blanc architectes (PGL) is a Montréal architectural firm that was founded by Louis-Joseph Papineau (Montréal, 1930 - ), Guy Gérin-Lajoie (Outremont, 1928-2015), and Michel Robert Le Blanc (Perpignan, 1930 - 2006) in 1959. This collaboration emerged during Papineau, Gérin-Lajoie and Le Blanc’s studies at McGill University’s School of Architecture; Papineau and Le Blanc graduated with a Bachelor in Architecture in 1955 and Gérin-Lajoie graduated in 1956.
From 1960 to 1970, PGL was responsible for designing a number of impressive cultural centres, residential homes, and institutional buildings. PGL became well-known in Québec for several designs, including the Regina Caeli School (1963), the University of Montréal’s Student Residence (1966), and Peel Metro (1966). Both the University of Montréal Student Residence and the Peel Metro project received Massey Medals in 1967. Additionally, in collaboration with architect Luc Durand, PGL was selected to design the Québec Pavilion (now part of the Casino of Montréal) for the 1967 International and Universal Exposition (Expo 67). PGL also designed the Expo 67 pavilions for Italy, Monaco and the Canadian National.
In 1970, architect Gordon Buchanan Edwards joined PGL. The agency operated as Papineau Gérin-Lajoie Le Blanc Edwards (PGLE) until the spring of 1973 when both Edwards and Papineau left the office. PGL architectes (Gérin-Lajoie Le Blanc) was then established and in operation until 1982. As PGL architectes, the firm realized two of its most significant architectural works: the Mirabel Airport and Place du Portage. In 1979, PGL received the prix d’excellence de l’Ordre des architectes de Québec for the Mirabel Airport. In 1982, the firm was re-established by Gérin-Lajoie and renamed Guy Gérin-Lajoie architecte – the firm dissolved in 1990.
PGL was involved in many international built projects, which enabled the firm to establish a subsidiary agency, PGL International Ltée. PGL International Ltée operated from 1973-1982 and completed architectural projects in over 20 countries. Having worked in the Arctic, the Middle East and Africa, the firm developed a unique construction technique that was adaptable to extreme artic, desert and tropical conditions.
Notable international projects completed by the PGL include the Nadj Centre in Saudi Arabia (1976), the Jeddah Centre in Saudi Arabia (1977), the Thiès Polytechnic School in Senegal (1978), the Casa Petrolera de Securo Social Medical Centre in Bolivia (1977), and the Sicomed Hospital in the Ivory Coast (1982).
The Gérin-Lajoie Le Blanc was donated by Guy Gérin-Lajoie and Michel Le Blanc to the Canadian Centre for Architecture on December 31, 1985. Subsequent additions were made by Guy Gérin-Lajoie in 1987, 1996, 1997 and 1998.
Montréal Île de Montréal Québec Canada
When citing the collection as a whole, use the following citation:
PGL architectes fonds
Collection Centre Canadien d'Architecture/
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal
When citing specific collection material, please refer to the object’s specific credit line.
English , French
Inscrivez-vous pour recevoir de nos nouvelles
Merci. Vous êtes maintenant abonné. Vous recevrez bientôt nos courriels.
Pour le moment, notre système n’est pas capable de mettre à jour vos préférences. Veuillez réessayer plus tard.
Vous êtes déjà inscrit avec cette adresse électronique. Si vous souhaitez vous inscrire avec une autre adresse, merci de réessayer.
Cete adresse courriel a été définitivement supprimée de notre base de données. Si vous souhaitez vous réabonner avec cette adresse courriel, veuillez contactez-nous
Veuillez, s'il vous plaît, remplir le formulaire ci-dessous pour acheter:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Prix [Price of book]
Merci d'avoir passé une commande. Nous vous contacterons sous peu.
Nous ne sommes pas en mesure de traiter votre demande pour le moment. Veuillez réessayer plus tard.