Fonds Cornelia Hahn Oberlander
The Cornelia Hahn Oberlander fonds documents Oberlander's professional activities as a landscape architect. It contains over 203 projects that span from 1954 to 2009 predominantly in Canada and in the United States, but also in Germany. The fonds is a complete record of Oberlander's work, and comprises her playground projects, roof gardens, and public space landscapes as well as private residence landscape designs. The fonds also includes adminstrative records from her practice and her professionnal engagements, and research material for her landscaping projects, publications, and lectures. The fonds includes material related to Cornelia Hahn Oberlander's participation on an exhibition of her own work.
The fonds chiefly contains material related to Oberlander's landscape projects such as drawings (conceptual drawings, design development drawings, presentation drawings and panels, and working drawings), including many original work by Oberlander, and also project files of textual documents and photographs. The fonds also comprises office records from Oberlander's practice, reference and research material such a small publications and press clippings on playgrounds and drawings and notes from land her studies at Harvard University.
The fonds is arranged in four series:
AP075.S1 Landscape architecture projects
AP075.S3 Professional activities and office records
AP075.S4 Reference and research material
Cornelia Hahn (b. June 20, 1921, Mulheim, Germany) fled Berlin with her widowed mother in 1939 to settle near Wolfboro, New Hampshire, USA. She attended Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts from 1941–44 before studying under Walter Gropius at the Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, graduating with a degree in Landscape Architecture in 1947. In 1950, Orberlander was hired as a community planner with the Citizen's Council on City Planning (CCCP) in Philadelphia. Afterwards Oberlander worked with landscape architect Dan Kiley in Vermont, and in Philadelphia from 1951–53, for landscape architect James Rose on social housing developments as well as with architects Louis Kahn, and Oskar Stonorov. She married fellow Harvard graduate H. Peter Oberlander (1922-2008) in 1953 and moved to Vancouver where her husband was charged with founding the Community and Regional Planning Department at the University of British Columbia (UBC). At this point Cornelia Hahn Oberlander opened her own practice as a landscape architect.
Until the early 1970s,Oberlander designed primarily children’s playgrounds, private residential gardens, and landscapes for social housing projects such as MacLean Park and Skeena Terrace in Vancouver (1957). After returning to Vancouver in 1974 from a three-year stay in Ottawa (her husband had served in the Federal Ministry of State for Urban Affairs), Oberlander was invited by architect Arthur Erickson to contribute to the planning of the Robson Square and Provincial Courthouse complex in Vancouver (1979). Further collaborations with Erickson and others on important public buildings soon followed. With Erickson she worked on many of his most renowned projects - the Museum of Anthropology at UBC (1976), the Canadian Embassy in Washington, D.C. (1989), California Plaza, Los Angeles (1989) and the Liu Centre for Global Relations at UBC (1998). For architect Moshe Safdie, Oberlander designed the Taiga (Arctic) Garden for the National Gallery of Canada (1989), and landscapes for the Ottawa City Hall addition (1991), and the roof garden and plazas for the Vancouver Public Library (1995).
Major projects involving Oberlander in the 1990s included the United Nations Peacekeeping Monument (with the Vancouver team of Richard Henriquez architect and sculptor Jack Harman) completed in Ottawa in 1992 as well as landscapes for the Northwest Territories Legislative Assembly Building, Yellowknife (Matsuzaki / Wright Architects, 1991–94), the ecologically innovative C.K. Choi Institute of Asian Research at UBC (Matsuzaki / Wright Architects, 1996), a project that committed Hahn Oberlander to environmental planning and sustainable development in urban contexts, and the landscape master plan for Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts (Rolland/Towers, 1997).
Major projects completed in the 2000s include Liu Centre for International Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver (Architectura/Arthur Erickson Architects, 2000), Jim Everett Memorial Park, University Endowment Lands, Vancouver, British Columbia (2001)¸ Holly Park III, Seattle, Washington (Solomon ETC Architects, 2005) a mixed-income housing community on 36 acres with central park, and the courtyard gardens, and roof gardens for the Canadian Embassy, Berlin, Germany (Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects, 2005).
Current works in progress include the renovation of 1960s landscape of Buchanan Building, University of British Columbia, Vancouver (Busby Perkins Will Architects), renovation of Provincial Government Complex and Law Courts at Robson Square, Vancouver, British Columbia (Omicron Architecture with Arthur Erickson Architect and Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg), the atrium of Telus Building, Vancouver, British Columbia (Peter Busby Architects), and New York Times Building, New York (Renzo Piano Architect with HM White Site Architects).
Oberlander was awarded the Order of Canada in 1990, and is now widely considered Canada’s premier landscape architect.
Cornelia Hahn Oberlander’s work was presented in the exhibition, Cornelia Hahn Oberlander: Ecological Landscapes, at the Canadian Centre for Architecture from 11 May to 30 July 2006. A catalogue with photographs by Etta Gerdes accompanied the exhibition, Bilder kanadischer Landschaftsarchitektur/ Picturing Landscape Architecture, edited by Mechtild Manus and Lisa Rochon and published by the Goethe-Institut (Montréal) and Callwey, Munich.
The Cornelia Hahn Oberlander's fonds was acquired from Cornelia Hahn Oberlander by the CCA in 1997. The material was transferred in incraments between 1996 and 2012 from Oberlander's residence and office.
When citing the collection as a whole, use the citation:
Cornelia Hahn Oberlander fonds
Collection Centre Canadien d'Architecture/
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal;
Don de Cornelia Hahn Oberlander/
Gift of Cornelia Hahn Oberlander
When citing specific collection material, please refer to the object’s specific credit line.
English, with some material in German.
Inscrivez-vous pour recevoir de nos nouvelles
Merci. Vous êtes maintenant abonné. Vous recevrez bientôt nos courriels.
Pour le moment, notre système n’est pas capable de mettre à jour vos préférences. Veuillez réessayer plus tard.
Vous êtes déjà inscrit avec cette adresse électronique. Si vous souhaitez vous inscrire avec une autre adresse, merci de réessayer.
Cete adresse courriel a été définitivement supprimée de notre base de données. Si vous souhaitez vous réabonner avec cette adresse courriel, veuillez contactez-nous
Veuillez, s'il vous plaît, remplir le formulaire ci-dessous pour acheter:
[Title of the book, authors]
ISBN: [ISBN of the book]
Prix [Price of book]
Merci d'avoir passé une commande. Nous vous contacterons sous peu.
Nous ne sommes pas en mesure de traiter votre demande pour le moment. Veuillez réessayer plus tard.